What are the benefits of clay roof tile?
- Roof Tiles help shed heat in the summer and insulate heat in the winter.
- They hold up against harsh weather effects, better than other materials.
- Roof tiles are fire resistant.
- Clay roof tiles are a long life product. Northern Roof Tiles expects its tile to last, under normal conditions, approximately 100 years. Warranty ranges from the first 30 to 50 years depending on the tile type.
- Clay tiles are kiln fired at extreme temperatures and color is permanent. However, over time pollution and dirt will build up on the surface, somewhat dulling the color, resulting in the tiles mellowing and taking on an aged patina.
Can my house support the weight of clay roof tiles?
If you are considering the addition of a clay tile roof to an existing home, Northern Roof Tiles suggests that you contact an architect or engineer who after an inspection can advise you on the existing load capacity.
I thought you could only use clay tile in warm climates like Florida?
Clay tiles can safely be used in colder climates as long as they are ASTM Grade 1 (C1167 -03 Standard Specification for clay roof tiles).
Northern Roof Tiles has each of their tiles independently tested to ensure that they meet and exceed the ASTM Grade 1 requirement. By doing this we can be sure that the tiles will perform as expected for their lifespan.
Tiles which do not meet the ASTM Grade 1 standard should not be used in northern climates.
Do clay roof tiles come with a warranty?
All clay roof tiles sold by Northern Roof Tiles are independently tested to ensure they meet and exceed the criteria for a Grade 1 tile under ASTM C1167 and are covered by their manufacturers’ comprehensive transferable warranty.
Warranties ranges from the first 30 to 50 years depending on the tile type. Contact us directly for further detailed information.
Please do not confuse the length of the warranty with the life expectancy of the tiles.
Who can install clay roof tiles?
Any competent roofer can install our tiles, however, Northern Roof Tiles has spent years building relationships with roofers all over North America. We would be happy to recommend proficient roofers who can provide your installation pricing.
Is there a minimum roof angle (slope/pitch) the roof tiles will work?
Is there any way to prevent snow sliding off my roof in winter?
Snow will slide on any surface with a steep enough pitch or if the friction between the snow and the roof surface is broken. Controlling snow on a roof is essential to prevent damage to the roof, gutters or property below the roof.
Snow systems come in a range of shapes, designs and profiles but in the end they all do the same thing they keep the snow in place to control its melting preventing property damage.
Simon Matthews (ext. 105) of Northern Roof Tiles has supplied snow slide prevention products to the residential and commercial building industry. We have supplied systems to single family bungalows all the way to multi-million dollar custom homes, hospitals, churches and a variety of industrial buildings.